So de-stressing is something that I am bad at, and have been for a long time. However recently I have found ways to relax and wind down- so I thought I would share them with you.
This advice may not be the best but it has worked for me so far, I hope this helps at lest one of you!
1) I think it is important to remember that it is ok to feel stressed and it is ok to feel like everything is ‘too much’. Sometimes we get so caught up in ‘thinking positively’ we don’t allow ourselves to feel negative emotions or at least we don’t accept them. However, personally I have found that this simply creates more stress as you get angry with yourself for feeling overwhelmed and blah blah blah therefore say to yourself it is OK to feel like this.
2) Right so you have accepted that it is ok, now you need to remind yourself that this feeling is temporary and you find ways to overcome these feelings (if you have prolonged negative feelings then please seek advice/help as maybe it is a more serious problem).
3) I think one of the most important things to do is to take time off. No matter how hard I find doing this, I have come to learn that without doing so- you go into meltdown. Trust me. Take time off. Turn of your phone, turn off your laptop, put your revision away, put your work away and take time off from all the things that fill your head with ‘clutter’. If you don’t allow yourself free time then you will become trapped in a cycle of stress, even one day off a week can make your week SO much more productive. Because in actual fact, working 24/7 is NOT productive.
4) Self care has become something ‘cringey’ or something people regard as ‘unnecessary’ or ‘selfish’. . However I believe that you should look after yourself well because this is the only you that you’ll ever get.
5) Do something productive. By self care you don’t have to sit there in boredom. Personally I like to get away from social media like twitter and Instagram, I prefer to put on a youtube video or reality tv show and paint nails/colour in/scrapbook etc… Basically something that makes you feel happy, something away from your normal working/studying life.
6) TALK. Don’t think that you have to keep feelings of stress to yourself. Talk to a friend, a family member, a therapist- anyone. Talk to someone you trust and someone who truly cares about you, they will be there for you. Sometimes by verbally expressing your worries everything becomes clearer and maybe someone could give you personal tips/advice on your specific worries.
For now, I am going to leave it at that. Maybe if I find more ways to destress in the future then I will do an updated version of this post, but for now I hope this has helped you in some way.